For the Olive Juice Spheres
- 500g of unpitted chamomile olives
- 0.2g xanthan
- 100g cocoa butter
- 1g of green dye
- 10 spheres of olive juice (from above)
- Remove the pips from the olives, juice the flesh and strain.
- Add the xanthan to 200g of olive juice and blend with the electric whisk until you get a creamy texture.
- Fill the olive molds with the liquid and freeze.
- Unmold once set and store in the freezer.
- Melt the cocoa butter over medium heat, once melted add the dye and blend.
- Prick the spheres using a syringe and dip in melted butter for 2 seconds, drain and arrange in a Sulfurized paper container.
For the Marinated Mackerel
- 2 mackerels of 350g each
- 1kg salt
- 100g rice vinegar
- 100g Jang sauce
- 150g extra virgin olive oil
- Fillet the mackerel and remove the bones using tweezers.
- Cover the mackerel in salt for 45 min, then rinse in water and dry using paper towel.
- Mix the rice vinegar with the Jang sauce and marinate the mackerel fillets in the mixture for 45 min.
- Drain the liquid and then remove the mackerel skin using a knife.
- Score all the skin with longitudinal cuts of about 0.2 cm in depth.
- Cut the loin into pieces of about 1.5 cm thick. There should be at least 2 pieces of Marinated mackerel per person.
- Keep covered with virgin oil in the fridge until service.
For the Piparra Seed Cream
- 200g pickled piparras
- 0.5g xanthan
- Drain the vinegar from the piparras and set aside.
- Use a knife to open the piparras and remove the seeds.
- Place the seeds into a bowl with a little bit of the saved vinegar.
- Blend the piparras flesh in a blender with the rest of the saved vinegar and pass through a fine sieve.
- Add the xanthan and mix well to obtain a fine, dense and lump-free cream.
- Store in a sauce dispenser in the fridge.
- 40 pieces of 0.5 anchovies
- 20 pickled capers
- seeds of a passion fruit
- chopped Chives
- virgin olive oil
- flaked salt
- Place 2 pieces of marinated mackerel drained from the oil on the plate.
- Spread across the plate, without touching any ingredient between them and leaving the center free: 2 capers, 4 pieces of anchovy, 2 piparra seeds and 2 passion fruit seeds.
- Place some of the piparra cream in the spaces on the plate.
- Place an olive sphere in the center and dress the whole plate with virgin oil.
- Garnish with chopped chives and place some salt crystals on top of mackerel.
Recipe Courtesy of Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro & Eduard Xatruch at 2 Michelin-starred Disfrutar in Barcelona.
Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro & Eduard Xatruch Chef Feature
Image © Francesc Guillamet.