For the Crab
- 1 live crab (800g)
- 100g carrot
- 100g onion
- 200ml white vinegar
- 500ml crustacean stock
- thyme sprig
- 100g mango
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch chives
- 2 spring onions
- 50ml cognac
- 120g cream
- 6 soaked gelatine leaves
- 40g caviar “sturia, prestige”
- 1 slice of sandwich bread
- handful borage flowers
- handful pineapple sage
- handful mini purple shizo
- Espelette pepper
- 1 gold leaf
For the Jam
- apple (golden)
- 100g butter
- 50g sugar
- Cook the crab in the crustacean stock seasoned with some peppercorns and a sprig of thyme for about 8 min. Remove the crab from heat and leave to cool in ice water. Do not discard the stock.
- Once cool, peel the crab by removing all the cartilage and chop finely.
- Add mango brunoise, chopped spring onion, chives, lemon juice, Espelette pepper, cognac and a grated kumbawa to the crab meat .
- Melt 2 leaves of gelatine in 60g of cream and add to the mixture crab mixture. With a mould, shape half-spheres of the crab and set aside to cool.
- Whisk 60g cream until stiff and then season with salt, pepper and grated kumbawa. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 4 sheets of gelatine to the crustacean stock and place it in the fridge on a flat plate up to 3mm and leave to set. Once solidified cut into 4cm circles.
- Cut out 20 small circles from the sandwich bread and place in the oven until crispy.
For the Jam
- Segment the oranges and cook with half the golden apple, 50gr of butter and 25gr of sugar.
- Segment the limes and cook with half the golden apple, 50gr of butter and 25gr of sugar.
- Once softened, mix both jams together and pass through a cone strainer.
- On a plate, place three spheres of crab cakes and top each with a disc of broth.
- Place a circle of crispy bread on top of each.
- Put the kumbawa cream on one, on another the citrus jam and on the third a beautiful quenelle of caviar.
- On the plate add small dollops of citrus marmalade and kumbawa cream points and five caviar roe.
- Finish with flowers, shizo, chives tip and a little gold leaf.
Recipe courtesy of Jean-Denis Rieubland of Michelin-starred Le Royal at the Royal Champagne Hotel and Spa.