The ceremony, which took place on Tuesday 24 March 2020, took the safer route of a virtual presentation of the awards streamed live worldwide. Many of our favorite restaurants made an appearance on the list, with Odette restaurant in Singapore taking the crown as the best restaurant in the region for the second year in a row. Led by chef Julien Royer, this elegant venue wows diners with its Asian-influenced contemporary French cuisine.
With 12 restaurants on the list, Japan swept up the highest number of spots this year, with most of these foodie hotspots located in the country’s capital of Tokyo. The list’s highest new entry, newcomer Sichuan Moon led by revered chef Andre Chiang, continues to gain traction coming in at no. 23 this year, after receiving rave reviews and 2 Michelin stars at the end of 2019. Sorn restaurant in Bangkok is the highest climber this year, jumping 32 spots to no. 16.
The top ten in this years’s Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants List is as follows:
- Odette – Singapore
- The Chairman – Hong Kong
- Den – Tokyo
- Belon – Hong Kong
- Burnt Ends – Singapore
- Sühring – Bangkok
- Florilège – Tokyo
- Le Du – Bangkok
- Narisawa – Tokyo
- La Cime – Osaka
Additional award-winners this year include the following:
- Miele One To Watch Award 2020 – Masque, Mumbai
- American Express Icon Award 2020 – Yoshihiro Murata | Kikunoi, Kyoto
- Asia’s Best Female Chef 2020 – Cho Hee-sook | Hansikgonggan, Seoul
- Inedit Damm Chefs’ Choice Award – Yusuke Takada | La Cime, Osaka
- Gin Mare Art of Hospitality Award – Les Amis, Singapore
- Asia’s Best Pastry Chef 2020, sponsored by Valrhona – Natsuko Shoji | Ete, Tokyo
- Sustainable Restaurant Award 2020, sponsored by Beronia – Amber, Hong Kong
To see the full list of winners, visit the World’s 50 Best Restaurants’ website here.