The yuzu beurre blanc is prepared from a regular beurre blanc, which consists of a reduction blended with cream and ice-cold butter.
To make the Reduction
- 220ml white wine
- 60ml dry martini
- 20ml white wine vinegar
- 25g shallots
- 1.5g white peppercorns
- 1g coriander seeds
- Sweat the shallots, peppercorns and coriander seeds in a teaspoon of oil.
- Deglaze the pan with all the liquids and bring to a boil; allow to cook until its has reduced and only one third remains.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve, and set aside for the yuzu beurre blanc.
The Asian citrus yuzu tastes like a combination of lime, lemon and mandarin. It is a fairly rare fruit which makes the price reasonably high. The yuzu’s freshness pairs well with fish dishes. For René’s beurre blanc at Baoase Luxury Resort Restaurant, only the juice of the yuzu is used. As a seasoning, we use soy instead of salt to flavor the sauce.
To make the Yuzu Beurre Blanc
- 100g reduction (from above)
- 150g cream
- 150g cold butter, cubed
- 10g yuzu juice
- 8g soy sauce
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, with the exception of the cold butter.
- When the sauce is at the right temperature, add and beat the ice-cold butter cubes. Be aware that once the sauce is finished, it cannot be reheated.
- Before serving, froth with a hand blender for a light and airy result.
- Serve with your favorite fish.
Recipe courtesy of René Klop, Executive Chef of Baoase Luxury Resort on Curaçao.