Serves 4 people
- 280g Ditalini pasta by Gerardo Di Nola
- 200g cod skin
- 1,5 kg squid
- 2 pcs yellow onions
- 125g butter
- 25g shallot
- 55g white wine vinegar
- 125ml white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 65g salted capers
- 125g sugar
- 2tbsp Villa Manodori Lemon Oil
- 1 pcs carrot
- 1 pcs courgette
- 6 pcs large radishes
- 1 pcs large potato
- 1 pcs mullet bottarga
- 1 pcs lime
- fine salt
For the Cod Broth
- Wash the skins thoroughly under running water in order to remove the salt and impurities.
- Put them in a pot with 1.5 liters of cold water, bring to a gentle boil and then leave to cook over low heat for 6-8 hours, removing the foam every now and then.
- Reduce until it has reached the consistency of a slightly gelatinous and tasty fish broth. Then filter and let it cool.
For the Squid Broth
- Remove the skin and entrails, rinse the squid well to remove sand or residues, once drained put them in a baking tray with baking paper together with the onions cut in half.
- Brown everything in the oven for about 2 hours at 180°C or until golden, then put into a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a light boil.
- Cook over low heat for at least 6 hours, removing the foam every now and then. Filter and reduce until you have the consistency and a taste of brown sea bed. Cool and store.
For the Caper butter
- Put the capers to desalt in running water, once ready blanch them in syrup (125g sugar-125g water) for 5 minutes, drain and dry in the oven at 60°C for 12 hours. Blend until they become powder and store in a dry place.
- Leave the butter at room temperature, then, in a saucepan, put the coarsely chopped shallot, the wine, the vinegar and the bay leaf, and cook over low heat until ¾ parts get reduced, then filter and let it cool.
- Whip the butter in a mixer or by hand with a whisk and gradually pour in the reduction and the caper powder until you have a uniform texture. Keep in the fridge.
For the Vegetable Spheres
- With a Parisienne scoop, cut the balls from the vegetables – skinless carrots, radishes, peeled potatoes and courgettes. There must be 20 pieces of each vegetable.
- Cook the carrots and potatoes in boiling salted water for 2 and 4 minutes respectively.
- Cook and cool in water and ice, drain and preserve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- The radishes don’t have to be cooked (they should only be slightly warmed with steam when plating). Store in cold water.
For the Final Steps
- Boil the pasta in water and salt for 6 minutes, then finish cooking in the pan for 3-4 minutes, gradually adding the squid, the cod broth and the lemon oil. Once al dente, remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of caper butter.
- 1 minute before serving, put 5 spheres of each vegetable per person in the steam oven with a drizzle of oil.
- Put the pasta in the centre of the plate with its cream, arrange the vegetables on top to enhance the colours.
- Finish the plate with grated bottarga and lime.
Recipe courtesy of Karime Lopez, Head Chef of Michelin-starred Gucci Osteria da Massimo Bottura in Florence.