For the Veal Sweetbreads
- 1kg cleaned veal sweetbreads, soaked
- 200g butter
- 3g salt
- 2 star anise
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 juniper berry
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Place all the ingredients into a Vacuum bag and sous vide at 75*C for 45min.
- Chill completely and then remove the membranes and sinew before portioning.
For the Wagyu Sirloin
- 1 Wagyu sirloin steak, or any high quality local beef
- Cut the meat into loins and season well with salt and pepper.
For the Chipotle Glaze
- 5cm thumb ginger
- 6 sticks lemongrass, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sticks cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 300ml mirin
- 200ml sake
- 250ml light soy, green lid only
- 100ml honey
- 50g treacle sugar
- 500ml tomato sauce all gold
- 1500ml hoisin sauce
- 2 chipotle peppers
- Sweat the chopped garlic, ginger, lemongrass, cinnamon and star anise.
- Add the sake , mirin and reduce it down.
- Add the soy sauce, treacle, honey and reduce by ½ .
- Add the tomato sauce, hoisin and chipotle and cook on a low heat until thickened.
For the Corn Puree
- 1kg frozen corn
- 250g butter
- 200ml cream
- salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan, wrap the top in clingfilm and steam/sweat the corn until it’s completely soft and has lost most of its moisture.
- Remove lid/clingfilm and reduce rapidly with the cream until thick.
- Blend to a smooth puree and season, pass and set aside.
For the Coriander Espuma
- 250g butter milk
- 500g crème fraiche
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 150g chopped coriander
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 leaves gelatine
- Heat the buttermilk and crème fraiche with the onion and garlic and allow to infuse.
- Strain the mixture and whilst still hot, blend it with the coriander, lime, seasoning and gelatine and pass through a sieve.
- Chill completely and fill into an espuma gun and charge twice.
For the Miso Dressing
- 140g white miso paste
- 50ml ponzu
- 1 tsp sambal olek
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 300ml canola oil
- Combine the miso, ponzu, sambal and rice vinegar in a blender and slowly emulsify in the canola oil.
For the Teriyaki Sauce
- 200ml mirin
- 200ml sake
- 150ml light soy
- 200ml water
- 150 g sugar
- 30g peeled ginger root
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch leeks grilled
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot and reduce it very very slowly until it is fragrant and syrupy.
For the Garnish
- Baby radishes, sliced
- Confit lemon, julienned
- Micro herbs
- Corn dust(pulp from the corn puree, dehydrated and blended)
- Baby sweetcorn in the husk, blanched and braaied.
- Dust the sweetbreads in seasoned flour and crisp in a hot pan with clarified butter. Once crisp, glaze liberally in the chipotle glaze and slice in half.
- Sear the wagyu in a ripping hot pan after seasoning well. Slice thickly and dress with miso dressing.
- Arrange both the sweetbreads and the wagyu attractively on a plate, dot with sweetcorn puree, miso dressing and drizzle with teriyaki. Finally espuma on the coriander emulsion.
- The baby corn is brushed with more of the dressing, and sprinkled with popcorn, sweetcorn powder and chopped coriander and served alongside.
- Finally the plate is garnished with micro herbs, sliced radishes and confit lemon.
Recipe courtesy of James Gaag at La Colombe in South Africa.