Foie gras a la Chinois
Poaching liquid “ Chinois ”
- 10 pcs whole garlic with skin
- 1 pc galangal
- 10gm cinnamon sticks
- 5 gm star anise
- 20gm caster sugar
- 20gm superior dark soya sauce
- 1 litre distilled water
- 10 gm Angelica
- 10 gm poor’s man ginseng
- 5 gm liquorice stick
- 2 gm Sze Chuan pepper corn
- 2 gm Sarawak white pepper corn
- 5 gm rock sugar
- 100 ml superior light soya sauce
- In a pot, caramelise caster sugar. Add dark soya sauce for 2 minutes, then add in water.
- In a pan, lightly fry ingredients (1) till fragrant. Put all ingredients into a satchet with the rest of the ingredients in (3) and seal the bag.
- Add the satchet into the pot of water and boil for 15 min then simmer for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove from heat and add in light soya sauce
Poaching Foie gras “ Chinois ”
- 2 nos big Foie gras lobes
- 1 litre poaching liquid “Chinois”
- Pre heat Combi oven on steam mode to 65 degree celcius.
- Warm the poaching liquid to 70 degree in a pot, then add in the Foie gras and cover with a lid. Place in the Combi oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove once completed and place pot straight in the chiller and reserve for 4 days before serving.
- 2 nos Thai sweet mango or any sweet mango in season (remove skin, de-seed then dice)
- 10gm Muscovado sugar
- 3 gm sherry vinegar
- 1 nos bird eye chilli (remove seeds and dice)
- 5 gm fresh mint ( roughly chopped)
- 10gm fresh coriander ( roughly chopped)
- 1 nos shallot (diced finely)
- 50 ml olive oil
- Sweat shallot in olive oil for 1 min, then add mango and cook slowly until soft for about 10 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for a further 5 min.
- Set aside in chiller
Green mango salad
- 1 nos green mango (cut into strips)
- Pinch of fleur de sel
- 5 gm binger flower (finely chopped)
- Sudachi zest
Lightly salt the green mango strips for 10 minutes, then soak in ice water for 10 min. Pat dry then put the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- 125gm unsalted butter
- 50gm glucose syrup
- 10gm water
- 2gm pectin NH
- 75gm caster sugar
- 50gm white goma seed
- 25gm black goma seed
- Lightly toast goma seeds on a non-stick pan till evenly toasted, and set aside to cool.
- Melt (1) then add (2) then cook till 102 degree celcius, and remove from heat and add in goma seeds.
- Preheat combi oven to 160 degree celcius. Spread goma mixture thinly on silpat then bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Serve when cool.