- 1 lobe of quality duck foie gras
- 2 Maco artichokes
- 2 duck legs
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- garlic, thyme, and bay leaf
- 25cl white wine
- 25cl duck cooking liquor
- 50cl chicken stock
- 15cl avèze
- 1/2 soup spoon duck fat
- micro flowers and leaves
- beetroot shoots
- sorrel shoots
- cress shoots
To prepare the duck foie gras:
- Separate the large part of the lobe from the small part.
- Cut 4 thick slices in the large lobe, and put aside the small lobe and trimmings for other preparations.
- With a knife criss-cross each slice of foie gras, season and keep in the fridge.
To prepare the duck legs:
- Season the duck legs, then colour in hot fat in a pan. Add the aromatic garnish, chopped onion and carrot, the herbs and the garlic and allow to soften.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Once the wine is reduced by half, add the stock, cover with a lid and gently cook for a good hour. The legs are cooked when the meat falls from the bones.
- Pass off the cooking liquor as well as the vegetables and herbs.
- Take the meat off the bones and tear it up with your fingers.
- Put the vegetables and the meat into a thick bottomed pan and reduce right down until rich and thick.
- Dice up half of the small lobe and at to this mix along with 8cl of avèze. Check the seasoning.
To prepare the artichokes:
- Trim the artichokes, taking off the outside leaves. Remove the “haylike” center.
- Place the center a vacuum bag with salt, pepper and a splash of olive oil.
- Seal the bag and steam for 50 minutes at 85°C.
To finish the dish:
- Bring the duck jus to the boil with the rest of the foie gras trimmings, leave to simmer 5 minutes. Add the avèze, blend and pass through a fine sieve. Check the taste and season accordingly.
- Garnish the artichokes with the duck mix then cut each in half and keep warm.
- In a hot but not smoking pan, place the foie gras slices.
- Marked side face down, and add half soup spoon of duck fat, then finish in an oven at 180°C for about 4/5 minutes.
- Garnish the artichokes with the young shoots and artichoke crisps and put in the center of the plate with a generous serving of sauce.