Dark chocolate cupcakes with rose butter cream frosting
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
• 100g butter
• 100g brown sugar
• 100 self raiising flour
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 2 eggs
• 1 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
• 50g 70% dark chocolate
• 2 tbsps coffee or milk or 1 tbsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2. Beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together (flour, baking and cocoa powders) and gently fold into the batter.
5. Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a bowl over gently simmering water. When melted, fold into the batter and thin the mixture with the coffee, milk or vanilla.
6. Fill cases two thirds full and bake for 12 - 18 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and put on wire rack to cool.
For the butter cream:
Mix 125g softened butter and 250g icing sugar with a tablespoon or two of rosewater, to taste. Add a tooth pick of pink concentrated gel food colouring and pipe a rose swirl onto the cake, then spray with lustre spray to give a nice, glittery sheen.
by Dee Darko from Coco cakes and bakes.