Brazilian head chef of Sāo Paolo-based restaurant Epice, Alberto Landgraf is one of the young leading chefs in Brazil. His naturalist Brazilian cooking focuses on sourcing the best ingredients through fair trade and doing the most to enhance its natural flavours through modern and traditional techniques.
Chef Landgraf trained in London before working under some of the UK’s best chefs, including Tom Aikens and Gordon Ramsay. Since returning to Brazil and opening upscale Jardim Paulista-based Epice in April 2011, the restaurant has been one of the more talked about restaurants in the country.
Combining classic and modern techniques Alberto demonstrates his creativity and focus on local fresh ingredients in each dish. Hiring only junior chefs, the kitchen is a dynamic hub, where textures and temperatures are explored and imagination and individuality is celebrated.
Describe your culinary philosophy in 5 words...
Ingredients, flavours, acidity, textures, technique.
How did you feel when you were awarded your first Michelin star?
Very happy and humbled. I tend to look at these awards as an extra level of responsability, not something we deserve. With every award we win, we strive for higher standards of quality because it means people's expectations rise.
What is your greatest inspiration?
My parents, for sure. They're the ones who taught me that being honest and hardworking is what really matters for success, and that everything else ensues. I've always tried to be a better person as well as a better chef, I dont believe in being one and not the other!
What three things would you take to a desert island?
Olive oil, salt and coffee!!
- #41 | Epice | Latin America's Best Restaurants, 2014
- Winner of Rising Star Awards, Latin America | FOUR Magazine, 2014
- Chef of the Year | Folha de São Paulo Newspaper, 2013
- Best Contemporary Restaurant | Revista Veja SP, 2013
- #41 Best Restaurant in Latin America | Restaurant Magazine, 2013
- Best Creative Restaurant | Revista Gula, 2013
- 2** | Guia Quatro Rodas, 2012
- Best New Restaurant | Época Magazine, 2011
- Best New Restaurante | Guia Quatro Rodas, 2011
Rua Haddock Lobo 1002
+55 11 3062 0966